Employee Tuition Assistance
Texas A&M University is proud to provide access to high-quality benefits that support your professional and educational goals. The University encourages you to pursue higher education to enrich your lives and help Texas A&M develop the highest quality workforce. The Employee Tuition Assistance Program (formerly known as the Staff Tuition Assistance Program) is available to eligible employees and is administered as part of our WELLNESS WORKS! program under the financial wellness pillar.
Eligible employees must be admitted as a degree-seeking student to Texas A&M through the Office of Admissions. Tuition assistance benefits for which employees are eligible will reflect as a credit against the fees assessed for the applicable term. No additional application process will be necessary. Employees who receive tuition assistance will be required to adhere to all rules associated with being a student at Texas A&M, including, but not limited to, registering for classes, paying fees, and adhering to all academic rules and deadlines.
Educational Release Time is available to eligible employees who are registered as students to attend classes, with appropriate approval, during their regularly scheduled workday. This program provides employees with more flexibility to further their growth and advancement, enhance their involvement in the life of the University, and to further their education to become a more productive and knowledgeable workforce. Employees should check with their manager or supervisor prior to course registration for classes taken during the workday.
In addition to the employee tuition assistance benefits, Texas A&M University employees may also apply for a fee exemption through Student Business Services.
Employees eligible for the tuition assistance program must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be admitted to Texas A&M University in a degree-seeking program and enrolled in courses pertaining to that undergraduate or graduate degree program (including distance education programs).
- Be employed in a staff or academic professional track faculty title (non-tenure track) at Texas A&M University which includes Texas A&M University at Galveston, Texas A&M University at Qatar, and Texas A&M Health Science Center. The Employee Tuition Assistance Program does not apply to any position/title where student status is a requirement.
- Be budgeted at least 50% effort with Texas A&M University. A budgeted employee is an employee whose position is specifically identified in the budget with a unique identifier called a Position Identification Number (PIN). Budgeted positions are 50% or more effort (20 or more hours per week) for 4.5 months or more and are benefits-eligible.
- Have a minimum of 12 months of service in a staff or academic professional track faculty title (non-tenure track) prior to end of the semester in which they are enrolling and receiving the tuition assistance benefit. Hours worked in a student title at Texas A&M will count in the 12 months of service requirement.
- Be employed at Texas A&M University thru the 12th class day of the semester (census day) in which the tuition assistance benefit is received.
- Be in good academic standing and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 for undergraduate and professional students and 3.0 for graduate students.
The Employee Tuition Assistance Program will be processed as a scholarship. Texas A&M University will pay up to $1,000 per class as follows:
- Fall and/or spring semesters (maximum of 2 classes):
- 1-5 credit hours = $1,000
- 6+ credit hours = $2,000
- Summer semester (maximum of 1 class):
- 1-6 credit hours=$1,000
If you meet the required criteria for eligibility, there is no application process and no action on your part for you to be awarded this scholarship. Programming is in place to automatically identify employees who are registered and meet the criteria. Scholarships will be posted to your student bill 5 days prior to the first day of class each semester or shortly after enrollment, whichever applies. Eligible employees enrolled at Texas A&M University will automatically receive this scholarship during the fall, spring, and/or summer semesters. Eligible employees will be notified via their Texas A&M email account that the scholarship has been awarded.
The Employee Tuition Assistance Program is financially supported through central funding from Main campus agency code (part 02), Health Science Center agency code (part 23), or Galveston campus agency code (part 10) based on the employee's component from which the majority of their salary is sourced. Other Texas A&M agencies are not participating in this program.
To find the agency code in which you are associated with, follow the steps below:
- Login to Workday at sso.tamus.edu.
- Click the ‘My Personal Information’ icon
- Click the ‘About Me’ tab. Under the section labeled ‘Supervisory Organization’, you will see your administrative location (adloc). Adloc - equals the Agency Code in the first 2 digits of that number.
Questions Regarding the Employee Tuition Assistance Program and Process:
Scholarships & Financial Aid
firstname.lastname@example.org or 979.458.5422
Questions Regarding Admission to Texas A&M:
Admissions Customer Service
Admissions@tamu.edu or 979.845.1060