Wellness Happenings Monthly Newsletter
Current events and programs happening for WELLNESS WORKS!
FREE Financial Counseling On Campus
- Presented by Lincoln Financial Group
Wednesday, August 1 | 9:30 am – 1:30 pm | GSC 1203
- Presented by TIAA Financial Group
Tuesday, August 7 & Wednesday, May 8 | 8:30 am – 4:30 pm | GSC 1203
Both Lincoln Financial and TIAA offer Texas A&M employees FREE one-on-one consulting meetings with their financial/retirement advisors in the HROE offices in the General Services Complex, Suite 1201. Let these professionals help you learn how to take control of your financial health!
RSVP for your meeting:
Interpersonal Clubs Survey
WELLNESS WORKS! is working with a number of campus resources to establish affinity groups for Texas A&M faculty and staff employees. Let us know what type of clubs you would be interested in joining by participating in this survey! Your feedback will allow us to offer a variety of programs tailored to you!
Talk with the Doc!
Presented by Dr. Patricia Sulak & Dr. Jeffrey Waxman
Wednesday, August 15 | 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. | Memorial Student Center 2406 A&B
WELLNESS WORKS! presents “Talk with the Doc!” by Patricia J. Sulak, MD, and Jeffrey A. Waxman, MD, practicing physicians, medical school professors, and founders of Living WELL Aware. Join us for one of the following sessions focused on common healthcare issues impacting female and male bodies. We encourage you to register to attend the session which best meets your healthcare information needs or the needs of those you care about.
Dr. Sulak is a practicing gynecologist. Register for this session that will focus on:
- Mammograms, Pap Smears, Bone Density X-ray, ETC: Who Needs What?
- Menstrual Disorders: Management Options
- Perimenopause/Menopause/Hormone Replacements
- Aging Gracefully
Dr. Waxman is a practicing urologist. Register for this session that will focus on:
- Low “T”: When to consider testosterone replacement
- Prostate Cancer Screening: What are the recommendations?
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Building Muscle Mass Safely
These healthcare information sessions are designed to provide current guidelines and data on common healthcare issues and are not designed to provide specific medical advice. Drs. Sulak and Waxman do not sell or sponsor any specific medical, hormonal, or supplemental therapies.
To attend the live event, register by clicking the links above. Light lunch will be provided.
*Registered attendees will have a chance to win a Fitbit Flex 2!
Chronic Disease Self-Management Workshop Series (6-week Commitment)
Presented by Center for Population Health and Aging
Beginning Wednesday, September 3 & Ending Wednesday, October 8 | 11:00am - 1:30pm | GSC Room 101B
Register for a FREE Active for Life® Self-Management Program. This workshop is for anyone living with an ongoing health condition such as arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, lung disease, diabetes, depression and obesity. Active for Life® Self-management workshops compliment clinical care and were evaluated and approved by the Center for Disease Control with positive and lasting results. Workshops meet for six weeks every Monday for about 2.5 hours. Participants will learn how to:
- Find practical ways to deal with pain, fatigue, and stress
- Dealing with difficult emotions
- Make informed treatment decisions
- Discover better nutritional and exercise choices, understand decision making processes and learn how to get a good night’s sleep
- Find better ways to talk to their doctor and family about their health
- Set weekly action plans, problem solve health issues, and get needed support
*Please plan to attend all six sessions and bring your lunch!
To register for this workshop, please contact Rachel Foster at firstname.lastname@example.org or 979.436.9353 no later than Friday, August 31.
Employee Health and Wellness Fair – SAVE THE DATE!
November 8 | Student Recreation Center
WELLNESS WORKS! invites all faculty and staff employees to Save the Date for the 2018 Employee Health & Wellness Fair to be held on November 8 at the Student Recreation Center. The fair will be a come and go, conference-style event with lunch provided at the keynote session! Additionally, participants will be able to:
- Get a flu vaccine
- Participate in a sleep demonstration
- Attend employee fitness sessions
- Attend presentations on various health topics and innovations in wellness
- Win prizes
- And more!
Mark your calendar and check back soon for details about these future events!
- September 11- Nutrition Series begins
- September 18 - Financial Presentation by Lincoln Financial
- October 4 – Living WELL Aware Phase 4
- October 23 & 24 - Mobile Mammography Screening
- October 25 - Mindfulness Meditation Series begins (tentative)
- October 29 - Diabetes Workshops Series begin
- November 8 - Employee Wellness Fair
- November 28 - Financial Presentation by Lincoln Financial